    SubjectRe: ORBS Elevator...
    On Sun, Jul 30, 2000 at 09:39:25AM +0200, Rogier Wolff wrote:
    > One of the main problems is that in average use, there is just one or
    > two threads reading stuff from the disk. The threads will be "blocked
    > waiting for IO to complete" and issue their next IO request after they
    > have the results of the current IO. So at most there will be just one
    > or two requests in the disk queue that you can order either the right
    > way around, or the wrong way around.

    Thats why one can use mmap(). This basically lets the OS decide,
    _when_ to map a page into physical RAM and when to flush it. So
    we can reorder, as we like. What we miss is a list of pages that
    should be read or written but do not need to now. This would be
    nice for servers/workstations, but would harm laptop batteries.

    You only suggest it for writes (in the part snipped ;-)), but I
    would like to see it for (streaming) reads, too.

    Regards

    Ingo Oeser
    --
    Feel the power of the penguin - run linux@your.pc