SubjectRe: [OT] Re: ext3-0.0.2e released
manfred@colorfullife.com (Manfred Spraul)  wrote on 06.07.00 in <3964E0E1.6121DB6C@colorfullife.com>:

> "Theodore Y. Ts'o" wrote:
> >
> > In practice, though, I'm not aware of any filesystem consistency checker
> > since the days of Multics that could do this.
>
> Windows 95/98 scandisk 8-)
>
> Their implementation well documented (they need 3 lock levels), but very
> slow (scandisk restarts from scratch if someone else writes to the disk)

Which is why it's generally known as "not working" for everyone I know.
Either you stop everything else (in which case, you might as well reboot
into DOS mode and get done significantly faster), or you have a very low,
often zero, probability of ever getting scandisk to finish.

MfG Kai

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans