SubjectRe: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs
torvalds@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds)  wrote on 27.07.00 in <8lop07$2ee$1@penguin.transmeta.com>:

> In article <Pine.LNX.4.02.10007270811460.32194-101000@prins.externet.hu>,
> Boszormenyi Zoltan <zboszor@externet.hu> wrote:
> >
> >/usr/include/asm is a symlink to /usr/src/linux/include/asm, as in the
> >original distribution but /usr/src/linux is a 2.4.0-testX tree.
> >With a 2.2.X source tree, it does not produce any warning.
>
> I've asked glibc maintainers to stop the symlink insanity for the last
> few years now, but it doesn't seem to happen.

It's certainly happened in Debian. /usr/include/asm is a directory, and
its contents come with the libc6-dev package.

> No. He really meant that you should not use the kernel headers: you
> should use the headers that glibc came with. It is probably a redhat bug
> that those headers were a symbolic link.

Indeed.

This bears repeating:

> I would suggest that people who compile new kernels should:
>
> - NOT do so in /usr/src. Leave whatever kernel (probably only the
> header files) that the distribution came with there, but don't touch
> it.
>
> - compile the kernel in their own home directory, as their very own
> selves. No need to be root to compile the kernel. You need to be root
> to _install_ the kernel, but that's different.
>
> - not have a single symbolic link in sight (except the one that the
> kernel build itself sets up, namely the "linux/include/asm" symlink

$WHERE_YOUR_KERNEL_IS/linux/include/asm, just to be extra clear.

> that is only used for the internal kernel compile itself)

Maybe this should go into a kernel README somewhere in the sources.

> Is there some documentation file that I've not updated and that people
> are slavishly following outdated information in? I don't read the
> documentation myself, so I'd never notice ;)

Lots of places, actually. find -type f | xargs grep /usr/include and
shudder.

MfG Kai

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.417 / U:0.028 seconds]