    SubjectRe: 2.4 status page, lightly updated

    On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > > Audit all char and block drivers to ensure they are safe with the 2.3
    > > > locking - a lot of them are not especially on the open() path.
    > >
    > > What about the open() path? They have (or grab) BKL there, so it should
    > > not be something special. Now, read() and write()...
    > They dont all get open right either ;) And yes a lot get read/write wrong

    Oh? I would be glad to know where I've fscked up - I'll fix that. I went
    through all ->open() instances and placed BKL into every dubious one.
    Notice that chain callers inherit the protection - e.g. BKL in
    chrdev_open() protects those instances of ->open() who are called only in
    that place, etc. To the best of my knowledge everything that can be called
    directly (not by other ->open() instance) is either obviously SMP-safe or
    grabs BKL itself. Everything that may end up in ->i_fop->open() or
    ->proc_fops->open() should be OK, unless I've fscked up...

    I have a patch moving BKL all way down the chain for character devices
    (not a big deal, there were several [3 or 4] places that required
    non-trivial changes to make them SMP-safe, the rest was mechanical
    shifting). But I'm not sure that it's really worth it. Having no
    exceptions in the locking rule (i.e. "_every_ ->open() may be called
    without BKL") would be nice, but it would mean an additional work for
    3rd-party folks - I've covered all instances in the tree, but I'm not
    fscking clairvoyant and can't remotely fix 3rd-party code...

    BTW, fops_get() uses try_inc_mod_count() now, so rmmod problems for
    file_operations are gone. Subsystems that use something else (TTY, etc.)
    are still vulnerable, though.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.019 / U:82.900 seconds]