SubjectRe: sysconf (was Re: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs)

On 28 Jul 2000, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:
>
> > There is only a stupid push to try to be more generic than anybody
> > actually needs! It makes glibc slower and bigger than it needs to be, and
> > quite frankly I don't see the point of having a system call that returns
> > the value "32".
>
> It will not return 32 in all cases, that's the whole point. I will
> save this mail and send it to all the people who complain about this.
> There are lots of people who need larger numbers of groups. If you
> don't need such a large number doesnot mean nobody needs it.

PLEASE save the mail.

But even more, please READ the mail too. Look at my suggestion. And when
you send the mail out to somebody who complains about NRGROUPS, then send
out the mail in ENTIRETY, and explain to those people why you continually
ignore my suggestions even though they obviously fix the problem.

I'm damn sick and tired of you blaming the kernel for your own stupidity
and incompetence.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.083 / U:0.040 seconds]