    SubjectRe: 2.4.0-test4 Out Of Memory ?!
    On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Justin C. Ferguson wrote:

    > When last we left our heros, they were speaking of:
    > I tried recompiling with the CPU type set to 586 this morning,
    > and got the same results, as well as when I tried adding mem=224m on the
    > lilo boot command line. No go. :-< Anyone else have advice? I'm beginning
    > to wonder if maybe it isn't a processor or MoBo problem, but I don't want to
    > spend the money for a new one right now, so I'm hoping somebody will have some
    > other suggestions.
    > JF

    Out of memory
    -- System halted.

    Is most always caused by a bad BIOS returning the incorrect amount of

    This can be fixed by adding the 'mem=' parameter to any 'append=' string
    being passed to lilo in its configuration. I am not aware that there
    is an explicit 'mem=' command for Lilo. If so, it doesn't work on
    the version I use and it's not documented. From the documentation, and
    from actual usage, I find that parameters to be passed to the kernel
    take the form of a space-delimited string in quotes, like:

    append="console=ttyS1,9600 mem=24m hd=64,32,202 nfsroot=/home/nfs"

    This is put into lilo.conf or on the command line as:

    /sbin/lilo -C - <<EOF
    boot = /dev/fd0
    map = /mnt/map
    backup = /dev/null
    vga = normal
    install = /mnt/boot.b
    image = /mnt/vmlinuz
    append = "console=ttyS1,9600 mem=24m hd=64,32,202 nfsroot=/home/nfs"

    Once the kernel is told to ignore the BIOS memory size, by the presence
    of "mem=", it should boot. FYI the kernel will still boot with only
    8 megs of RAM, it used to boot with only 4!. You can use mem=16m to force
    sanity, then work up from there.

    Dick Johnson

    Penguin : Linux version 2.2.15 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

    obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.025 / U:0.884 seconds]