    SubjectRe: Direct access to hardware
    Michael Poole wrote:

    > James Sutherland <jas88@cam.ac.uk> writes:
    >
    > > On 25 Jul 2000, Michael Poole wrote:
    > >
    > > > Talking to the drive should be permitted under Linux or it should not;
    > > > you shouldn't have to switch on some "firmware upgrade kernel" flag
    > > > just to talk ATA extensions.
    > >
    > > It's not a case of talking "extensions", just a matter of preventing
    > > access to the vendor-specific commands which potentially void the
    > > warranty.
    >
    > Making vague claims about voiding warranties doesn't help the
    > discussion. If the drive vendor wishes to forbid user firmware
    > upgrades, they can simply make that available only through physical
    > modification of the drive (which would void the warranty in itself).
    > If they want the host CPU to update their firmware, they'd better be
    > prepared for all that entails.

    Take a look at motherboard warranties.
    If you flash the BIOS with the tools
    THEY provide and the BIOS files THEY
    provide you assume the risks if it fails.
    The warranty only covers the board AS IT
    WAS SHIPPED, even if the BIOS is buggy.

    Weather you use their BIOS files or files
    from somewhere else, weather you use their
    tools or tool from somewhere else, If
    you try to flash the BIOS and it kills
    the board, the warranty will NOT cover
    the replacemet Flash chip with the
    correct BIOS, and will never include the
    shipping and installation fees that getting
    the new chip on yiou board will add.

    I know, I asked 4 different manufacturers
    and 20 retailers/distributors about it.
    This includes retail and OEM versions of
    the boards.

    -Thomas

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.028 / U:31.240 seconds]