SubjectRe: [ANN] Linux Kernel Source Reference
Hi Mike, Thomas.

> Riley Williams has done this about a year or so ago I believe,
> and if I'm not mistaken he has every kernel ever released since
> 0.01 or so, plus all prereleases, etc.. It is a complete
> archive of everything scrounged off the net and CD's, etc..

It consists of all released kernels that are still available. This
means that it is complete since kernel 0.0.14 was released, but there
are quite a few missing kernels prior to that.

> I can't remember his URL though. Now that I mentioned it though,
> I'm sure he or someone else will provide it.

The online index is at...

http://www.memalpha.cx/Linux/Kernel

...but this only has links for kernels that are currently available
online, although it includes details of the kernels not currently
available online which I have obtained or been able to recreate.

Incidentally, following on from my recent protracted absence from the
surfboard, I've now brought this index up to date...

> I think he offers it on CDR as well.

I do indeed offer it on CDR - it currently runs to four CD-R's for the
entire collection.

> Hope this helps further your effort.

>> i just want to let you all know that there is now a small public
>> service i just (half :-) finished setting up which i called

>> The Linux Kernel Source Reference

>> it's basically a cvs tree with all linux versions starting from
>> 1.0 until the latest one with a cvsweb www frontend and pserver
>> remote functionality on top of it ... this way you can easily
>> get or diff or whatever any ever released (since 1.0 :-) version
>> of the linux kernel source ...

I have to admit that my collection hasn't been cvs'd but is available
as the raw tarballs.

>> just have a look at it at

>> http://innominate.org/~graichen/projects/lksr/

>> ... maybe you find it useful for studying the code, looking at
>> changes, encircling bugs or other things (maybe just using cvs
>> update instead of patching the kernel) ...

>> all this is work in progress - so it will be more improved and
>> better documented soon and - if more people should use it - will
>> maybe get it's own machine (pserver access is limited to 5
>> parallel sessions for now - but will be increased if required -
>> so don't give up and try it again some days later if it should
>> always be busy)

>> if you find any problems or bugs in it or have ideas or
>> improvements feel free to mail me ... have fun

Best wishes from Riley.

* Copyright (C) 1999, Memory Alpha Systems.
* All rights and wrongs reserved.