SubjectRe: multimounting cdroms ???
On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:
>
> > Only one problem though.
> >
> > A user can mount the same filesystem multiple times on the
> > same mountpoint, but will be unable to umount the filesystem
> > again ...
> >
> > umount -f does the trick, but is restricted to root
>
> ... but doing umount the same number of times you've done mount isn't ;-)
>
> Actually, the more I'm looking at it, the more it seems that correct
> solution is to consider mount as
> if (nothing mounted)
> mount
> else if (mounted is not busy)
> replace
> else
> fail
> Makes sense for union-mounts too - normal mount is =, union is += ...

I agree with you, and in any case, root should always totally
umount the fs (if it isn't busy of course), I mean, when the superuser
wants to umount a fs usually he/she really means "umount it now!" :-)

I think of another problem, what if somebody has the idea of
something like

while true; do
mount /cdrom
done

how many times can a filesystem be mounted? (sorry if it is clear in the
sources, but I have no experience with fs/ )

Regards,

- german