SubjectCapabilities..
How does one exercise the CAP_SYSPCAP capability?  In other
words, if root starts up with all capabilities as defined in the
cap-bound set, how does root pass a capability to another PID?

Is there a userland utility that root can run to give other PID's
other capabilities? Or am I misunderstanding the purpose of this
CAP? If I'm understanding it correctly, why then are system
daemons that require root privs, not instead getting only the
required CAP's passed to them somehow?

Any help in understanding this, and finding existing utils would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
Computer Consultant GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore
strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.090 / U:0.032 seconds]