    SubjectRe: What's wrong with IDE patch and what proper solution shouldbe...
    Andre Hedrick wrote:

    > On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
    >
    > > Ssshhhhh. I was enjoying the pyrotechnics and didn't
    > > really want to get involved ;-)
    > >
    > > Doug Gilbert
    > > sg maintainer
    >
    > Hey Doug
    >
    > You are not a default compile option are you? Regardless, you were
    > specifically designed to throw the kitchen sink and the hardware, and that
    > is cool. This is clear and nobody has done in their /etc/fstab
    >
    > /dev/sga2 / ext2 defaults 1 1
    > /dev/sdg1 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
    > /dev/sdg5 /usr ext2 defaults 1 2
    >
    > Can this be done?

    No. The SCSI generic driver (sg) is a character
    device and thus cannot be mounted. Sg also has
    no concept of partitions. Its unit of addressing
    is a device and its transactions are in terms of
    SCSI commands. No censorship other than requiring
    read and write permissions on a device. For example
    my disk has default (sensible) permissions:
    $ cd /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/
    $ ls -l disc generic
    brw------- 1 root root 8, 0 Dec 31 1969 disc
    crw------- 1 root root 21, 0 Dec 31 1969 generic

    Those device filenames aren't really that old.

    Doug Gilbert

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:4.976 / U:0.004 seconds]