    SubjectRe: What's wrong with IDE patch and what proper solution should be
    Meelis Roos <mroos@linux.ee> writes:

    >PBD> Right now, you can write (for example) an Iomega Jaz utility without
    >PBD> any kernel futzing at all. Contrast this with Windows where it seems
    >PBD> necessary to always install a new driver.
    >
    >What IS the solution?
    .
    .
    .

    >* We want to use raw ide & scsi & etc commands. This is a problem.
    > Is a general safe filter even possible (such that cd writing, zip dives
    > etc continue to work)? I assume this is not possible.
    >
    >So the only 'bulletproof' way is to do all hardare access in kernel and not
    >provide userspace _any_ methods for doing it directly. This means all zip
    >drivers & graphics drivers & so on in the kernel :-(
    >
    >Therefore:
    >
    >_IF_ the hardware can be damaged THEN no userspace application must
    >be able to access it directly and to use such devices, a kernel level
    >driver must exist t o provide all the access safely.
    >
    >Or am I missing something?

    No, but you're not emphasizing the ":-(" at the end of the paragraph
    above. The idea that to use specific Jaz drive commands I need to
    "insmod jaz.o" strikes me as a reversal of one of the boldest triumphs
    and biggest differences between Windows and most Unixen.

    The fact that we have *SCSI* and *IDE* drivers, and not Seagate,
    Iomega, Adaptec etc. drivers is something we should not be
    contemplating abandoning.

    So, sure, protect the whole or some portion of the sg drivers with
    CAP_SYS_RAW, but don't think that its still Unix if you have to
    install a device-specific driver for each device that uses a standard
    protocol.

    --p

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.020 / U:0.744 seconds]