SubjectRe: Does this help explain better?? ATA/IDE Thread
Andre Hedrick <andre@linux-ide.org> said:
> I am talking about attempting to invoke unknown vender specific commands
> They do comply with the SPEC but are not part of the SPEC.
> Since I do not have the priviledge of knowing these facts, but know they
> exist. You can not allow a rouge driver attempt to invoke these commands.

So it is not "Danger, Will Robinson! Anybody can fry any IDE disk!"
anymore, it is _perhaps_ some makes (or even specific models only) _might_
have idiotic extension firmware commands for self-destruction, which ones
isn't known, and which require root to be able to be activated in the first
place.

BTW, not a single report of fried IDE disks (whether false alarm or real Mc
Coy, doesn't matter) has come through since all this shouting started, with
plug-in "exploits" (or near) and all, so I very seriously doubt this has
any practical importance. We are still much more secure than the
run-of-the-mill Win box, and even there it isn't a problem AFAIKS.
--
Horst von Brand vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Vin~a del Mar, Chile +56 32 672616