SubjectRe: disk-destroyer.c
[snip]

> Program interfaces should be designed to work, or fail with a known error
> code when given invalid data. Anything else is madness, and anyone who says
> otherwise deserves to attempt to write Win32 API code.

Agree 100%.
And on the topic of root/moot/etc every third if not every second workstation
installation out there has some of the hdXX or sdXX with permissions that
alllow non-root to mess with them. Reasons are numerous - CR rippers, CD
writers, CD players, etc...
First: you can blow up you firmware on CD devices as well. Happily. Quite a
lot of them support flashing and firmware updates.
Second: All the above programs do what? Execute tons of ioctls... and/or mess
at low level. So if they blow up and pass bogus data before dying miserably...
So if the kernel can check some stuff with no serious performance penalty it
should do so.

IMHO:
Andre should take a few days at the seaside or fishing or whatever his
favourite means of non-computer related holiday are. He explodes instantly at
the moment. There is no such thing as a programmer or sysadmin with a life
(see man sysadmin on alt.sysadmin.recovery) but we need to get some life from
time to time as well.

[snip]

My 0.02p

--
Anton R. Ivanov ARI2-RIPE
mailto:aivanov@sigsegv.cx

We're upgrading /dev/null

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.071 / U:0.064 seconds]