SubjectRe: TO HELL WITH IT THEN......(re: disk-destroyer.c)
On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, David Ford wrote:

> After watching this thread for a while, I have to stand against adding code.
> Perhaps I don't understand precisely what Andre is attending to, but I get the
> gist of it. If it's something that can be patched up...well...do it and we'll

The hardware can not protect itself.
I used the stand by which it was manufactured by against it with the help
of the kernel.

I can do the same for SCSI, just harder to break.

When it gets added, I will send you a patch to remove it so your computer
can be screwed in user land. I think I have a CERT expert showing me that
the size of disk-destroyer.c in compiled form is smaller than the
shellcode stack. Therefore you push the stack, and if the PID you push
into is running a root.root you are TOAST.

> all go on happily with a new kernel version not even knowing or caring that
> something changed. If it can't be fixed, why waste time running around in
> circles?

Bets the heck out of going to the store to buy a new harddrive that can
have the process repeated upon it for the second new harddrive that can
have the process repeated upon it for the third new harddrive that can
have the process repeated upon it for the fourth new harddrive that can
have the process repeated upon it for the fifth new harddrive that can
have the process repeated upon it for the sixth new harddrive that can
have the process repeated upon it for the seventh new harddrive that can
have the process repeated upon it for the eighth new harddrive that can
have the process repeated upon it for the ninth new harddrive that can
have the process repeated upon it for the infinite new harddrive that can
have the process repeated upon it!

It can destroy hardware faster than you can replace it......

> -d
>

> --
> "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
> eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was
> 'committed'."

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.266 / U:0.436 seconds]