    SubjectRe: TO HELL WITH IT THEN......(re: disk-destroyer.c)
    Andre Hedrick said once upon a time (Fri, 21 Jul 2000):

    > If you try to pass raw taskfile command to the drive and you have no clue.
    > The hardware will BUCK 99% of the time.
    > Using the kernel IOCTL, it BUCKS 5% of the time and the damage is done.
    > Baically, you want me to continue helping you destroy your hardware.
    > I will not be a part of that!

    Andre, your filter patch takes care of using the kernel IOCTLs from frying
    the drive right? Does it/can it do anything about passing raw malicious
    taskfile command to a drive?

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't any way to stop ONE smart
    malicious cracker from creating a script to send the raw malicious
    taskfile command, and posting it to BUGTRAQ. Then all the script-kiddies
    can hack root on upatched/insecure boxes and run the script to fry the
    drives at will.

    The script-kiddies don't have to derive the bad taskfile command once ONE
    person does it for them, right?

    Seems like the vendors have chosen the wrong side of the "security vs
    convenience" trade-off yet again.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.019 / U:11.496 seconds]