SubjectRe: disk-destroyer.c

> On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Andre Hedrick wrote:
>
> > The object is to protect this from happening even if you are ROOT or have
> > stolen ROOT priviledges.
>
> You can't stop root from doing anything, even in theory - root has access
> to the kernel image, either on disk or in RAM and can patch it to do
> whatever they'd like..
>
> It's nice to protect from doing stupid things by accident, but let's not
> pretend we're doing anything more than that.

Such a fallacy along the lines of preventing root from shooting
himself in the foot exists now. It is impossible to edit a directory
itself. Sure, you COULD hack your kernel to let you do that, but that's
not the point.

You can hack your kernel to allow all users full privileges. The idea is
to make the default kernel not insane.

-MB

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.350 / U:0.004 seconds]