SubjectRe: TO HELL WITH IT THEN......(re: disk-destroyer.c)
On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 11:15:42PM -0700, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 bodnar42@bodnar42.dhs.org wrote:
>
> > The last thing the kernel needs to do is protect hardware from root's
> > applications.
>
> You know what, if you compile the full taskfile option into the kernel,
> ROOT can screw itself into a throbbing orgasm, but a limited access for
> general use has to be the default to protect all of the newbies!
>
> Also the full access will make you did your task faster.
>
> So you lose the arguement in stopping ROOT's tools.

1) You can do inb/outb access from userland. If you're root, you don't
need any ioctl to issue a command that'd violate the ATA
specification to the drive.

Should you have any trouble programming the IDE from straigth
userland, you can load a kernel module to help you.

So your fix doesn't help against mailicous software (trojan horses,
whatever).

If the root wants to kill his system, he has much simpler ways to do
this.

2) I can't imagine newbie would experiment with ioctls like this. They
usually don't know what an ioctl is.

So it doesn't help them either.

So why all the screaming and shouting?

--