SubjectRE: TO HELL WITH IT THEN......(re: disk-destroyer.c)
Date

Well I can always send the SNMP command to turn off the interface
(sysAdminStatus ->down). This is a perfectly valid TCP packet, a perfectly
valid SNMP packet, and it can do some pretty bad things (getting a machine
off of the network). Granted when I turn my machine back on I get to reset
my NIC, but then the NIC does not retain state across resets (unlike a Hard
Drive whos job is soley to retain state across reboots)

Back to sending TCP/IP packets, I can always create a raw socket, place
someone else's IP address as the Source IP address (heck even put mine if I
want to shoot MYSELF in the foot) address a ICMP echo request message to a
large broadcast address (oh there are a few class Bs out there that still
aren't locked down) and send a few of these packets out. For that matter I
can just send out a few SYN messages from random source IP addresses
(preferably that are not on the network) and have the machine loose
connectivity. Does this mean the TCP stack is broken, or the TCP protocol
is broken ???

Bill
Bill Strahm Programming today is a race between
bill.strahm@ software engineers striving to build
intel.com bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
(503) 264-4632 and the Universe trying to produce
bigger and better idiots. So far, the
Universe is winning.--Rich Cook
I am not speaking for Intel. And Intel rarely speaks for me

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.029 / U:0.096 seconds]