    SubjectRe: Question about swap..
    On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, Justin C. Darby wrote:

    >Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 18:59:35 -0500 (CDT)
    >From: Justin C. Darby <>
    >Subject: Question about swap..
    >I'm contemplating writing a very, very large MUD game engine for Linux, I
    >was curious as to wether or not its possible to "force" memory to be
    >swaped to disk, and to "force" it to be taken from swap and placed into
    >real memory, using the Linux VM system. I want to circumvent the method
    >Linux uses it itself, so that I can keep everything in a "ready to
    >go" state, and use as much as the operating system's capibility as I can
    >without having to write my own swapping routines for player data and
    >objects/rooms. The reason I think this is possible, is because I'm
    >somewhat under the influence that GCC does this, but I may be wrong.
    >I realize that alot of people proably think this is a waste of time for
    >something like a MUD, but this isin't just any game, it supports more
    >than text-mode connections and it should be streamlined into the OS as
    >much as possible. :)

    Well, for further speedup, you could bypass the filesystem layer
    and use 2.4's new direct access support. Your game can be stored
    directly in a raw partition with your own custom format and
    routines to speed up access - much like databases do.

    You might consider making parts of the game loadable kernel
    modules like "kmudgamed" for networking parts. In a similar vein
    to "khttpd" for webserving or "knfsd".

    Hope this helps.

    Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
    Computer Consultant GNU advocate
    Capslock Consulting Open Source advocate

    ... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore
    strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.021 / U:26.532 seconds]