    SubjectRe: VIA IDE driver, v1.5 (final)
    On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 03:04:30PM -0700, David Ford wrote:

    > Good to hear. I gather from Andre's postings that really a time constraint and
    > what needs to be mapped in pci config space.
    > If I only had another dozen hours in a day..

    I'll try to find the bit if it is there. I still don't have enough info
    (except for some T13 drafts) on how the 80-wire cable detection works in
    hardware. I don't like having to manually configure this either.

    It could be the BIOSes just try UDMA66 and if they get CRC errors they
    fall back to a lower speed. It could be the BIOS can ask the drive if it
    sees an 80-wire cable.

    Btw, UDMA mode 3 (44.4 MB/sec) works well even on 40-wire cables and has
    not much speed difference to udma66.

    > Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
    > > On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 05:41:59AM -0700, David Ford wrote:
    > > > Is this a permanent plan? More and more options are being hammered into the
    > > > append line and LILO has a limit as well as the limits of users understanding
    > > > that they need to put that there.
    > >
    > > Well, I removed the splitfifo= option too, so the number remains
    > > constant. Unfortunately there's no known way to find out whether the
    > > 80-wire cable is installed, so the ata66 option seems to be a reasonable
    > > solution. It's used for other IDE hardware (amd750) as well).
    > --
    > "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
    > eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was
    > 'committed'."

    Vojtech Pavlik
    SuSE Labs

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.021 / U:0.200 seconds]