SubjectRE: [BUG] 2.4.0-test4 and console

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Anssi Kolehmainen wrote:

> > Andrew Morton writes:
> > > Actually, Mathieu's words and patch are consistent.
> > >
> > > Several people have recently reported the console-blacking-out-problem
> > > and this looks like the source.
> > >
> > > It was not I who made this change, and I guess before it's backed out we
> > > should find out who did it, and what they were trying to achieve.
> >
> > James Simmons, iirc. It does however look correct. Maybe the problem
> > is lower down in the card-specific drivers rather than here? Before
> > backing out the change, I think we need more investigation of the cause
> > of the problem.
>
> I believe it's in card drivers. I tried 'VGA' driver (that came with
> XFree86) and console was ok.
> With 'nv' driver (came with XFree86 4.0.1) console dims at first start and
> in the second time it turns completely blank.
> With 'nvidia' driber (v0.94, from NVidia) console blanks totally at first
> start.
> Another interesting point is that with 'nv' console dims only when starting
> X (so I can restore console just by logging to another VT and 'reset', but
> with 'nvidia' console blanks always when I switch to X.

That patch is 100% correct. That patches fixed palette setting problems.
On most video hardware how the palette is set depends on the video
mode. Thus you have to set the palette after the video mode is set. The
video mode can be altered in con_switch. Please if anyone has problems let
me know what hardware is doing this and what you are running. It is a
correct patch but it could be that XFree86 either takes advantage of the
kernel bug or XFree86 doesn't reset the hardware back to the correct state
after switching to the console. Which happens alot :-(.

"Look its a text editor, no its a OS, no its Emacs"
James Simmons (o_
fbdev/gfx developer (o_ (o_ //\
http://www.linux-fbdev.org (/)_ (/)_ V_/_
http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.594 / U:0.000 seconds]