    SubjectRe: devfs question
    In <m366q7las1.fsf@ccs.covici.com> John Covici (covici@ccs.covici.com) wrote:
    > Hi. I was reading the readme in the 2.4.0-test2 kernel documentation
    > tree for defs when I ran into the following mysterious passage

    Grrr. There are STILL described this gaping security hole ? Hosh. You should
    use recent enough util-linux and add

    vc/1
    vc/2
    vc/3
    vc/4
    vc/5
    vc/6
    vc/7
    vc/8

    instead (I do not remeber well with which version of linux-utils you can
    safely use devfs and allow root to use consoles but NOT ptys and serial
    ports in the same time). For old linux-utils this suggestion is unsecure
    and for new ones it's PLAIN WRONG so what's the point ?

    > /etc/securetty
    > PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules) is supposed to be a flexible
    > mechanism for providing better user authentication and access to
    > services. Unfortunately, it's also fragile, complex and undocumented
    > (check out RedHat 6.1, and probably other distributions as well). PAM
    > has problems with symbolic links. Append the following lines to your
    > /etc/securetty file:

    > 1
    > 2
    > 3
    > 4
    > 5
    > 6
    > 7
    > 8

    > What does this mean since /etc/security is a directory and where
    > shhould these lines go anyway?

    > Any assistance would be appreciated.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.052 / U:29.884 seconds]