SubjectRe: Bug in kernel - how to make big kernel bootable with GRUB (was Re: Linux 2.4.0-Test{1,2} with Grub (I think I found the answer))
In <8kmadc$jb4$1@cesium.transmeta.com> H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com) wrote:
> Followup to: <ABrpdRvqPT@khim.sch57.msk.ru>
> By author: "Khimenko Victor" <khim@sch57.msk.ru>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
>>
>> > The field never got extended because nobody really needed it extended.
>> > That's as simple as it can get, no?
>>
>> No. When you have field 2 bytes in size and you want to store there number
>> bigger than $FFFF you MUST increase field. Otherwise what's the point ?
>> I'm little surprised nobody noticed it for so long :-(
>>

> We have noticed. You may note that kernels > 1 MB warn that they can
> no longer be booted by the kernel boot sector.

And why it was done this way, BTW ? Fix is not that hard. Perhaps they should
say that you can not boot them with loadlin and GRUB as well ?

> THIS IS THE ONLY LOADER THAT SHOULD EVER USE THIS FIELD.

Hmm. Looks like such warning should have been written quite a few years ago
and not in letter to lkml but in kernel sources. For now loadlin, GRUB and
perhaps other loaders ARE using this field.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans