SubjectRe: [Announce] BKL shifting into drivers and filesystems - beware
Linus Torvalds writes:

> On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:
> >
> > Why not just shut the door on new features after 6 months? Even if
> > they are things you personally would really like to see (like the I/O
> > and networking scaling changes), if they're not ready in time, they
> > have to wait for the next cycle.
>
> I wish I could do that.
>
> I'm a push-over and a wimp.

Cough! ;-)

> And I love new features as much as the next guy.

So do I. But if you are strict with the timelines, then you won't have
to wait that long for the that cool feature. And nor would the great
unwashed, who would be able to use said feature without having their
filesystems eaten.

Also, I think you'd find more developers would be happy to wait for
their favourite patch to go into the next cycle, if the cycles were
short. If people could rely on the next cycle starting promptly, they
wouldn't be so desperate to get their patch in *now, please, I beg
you, don't make me wait another two years*.

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.166 / U:0.128 seconds]