    SubjectRe: Multithreaded TCP/IP stack

    I think the source of this was probably the Mindcraft tests and
    Microsoft's website. If you visit the MS website, there's a bunch of
    inaccurate statements about why Linux with Apache was slower than NT
    with ISS due to the fact that the IP stack was not multi-threaded. This
    was a true statement about the Mindcraft NetWare vs. NT performance
    shootout since NetWare's lack of a multi-threaded IP stacks was why
    NetWare was slower with IP than IPX (since the IPX stack in NetWare is
    multi-threaded but the IP stack was not). For some reason, Bruce Weiner
    applied the same arguments to the Linux vs. NT shootout last year and MS
    picked up on his statements. The message got further confused when PC
    Week published information (along with Microsoft) that Linux was not as
    good as NT because the IP stack in Linux was not multi-threaded.

    What's in Linux is multi-threaded to some extent, but the real source of
    the performance difference between the two was due more to the fact the
    MS has implemented some special Ring0/Ring3 traps just for Bruce's
    benchmarks between IIS and their kernel to make their IIS server beat
    Linux (much like they did with client side caching and oplocks they used
    for the NetWare vs. NT shootouts) whereas Linux runs Apache as a true
    user mode app.

    This belief is mostly fud, as observed by someone else on this list.

    :-)

    Jeff

    Chris Wedgwood wrote:

    > On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 01:47:08PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
    >
    > On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Stephen Torri wrote:
    >
    > > A friend of mine is critical of linux for not having a
    > > multithreaded TCP/IP stack. Is that true? If it is not then
    > > what kernel version introduced it. If it is then when should we
    > > expect to see it?
    > >
    > > Stephen
    > >

    > This is cute. Could you ask your friend what a multi-threaded
    > TCP/IP stack is?
    >
    > His friend probably refers to the locking used by the stack and how
    > much concurrency you'll get with multiple processors.
    >
    > With 2.2.x most of the stack is under a single lock, with 2.4.x
    > locking will be such that multiple processors can be in the stack at
    > the same time (the performance should be much greater then under high
    > load on big SMP boxes).
    >
    > --cw
    >
    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:3.931 / U:0.144 seconds]