SubjectRe: IBM Rapid Access Keyboard
On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Andries Brouwer wrote:

> There is a quite large variety of keyboards these days; putting stuff
> in the kernel is meaningless. You'll have to use the setkeycodes
> utility to assign keycodes to these 14 keys. See also

On the other hand there is a lot of keyboards but very many of them have
the same buttons. There are usually buttons for starting programs,
controling a cd-player and some web stuff. It would be easier if at least
all keyboards with the same sort of keys where mapped to the same
keycodes.

A big part of the kernel is about making different hardware
look the same to the programs. Most of the keyboard you see in stores
today have a lot of extra buttons. To me that suggest that we should have
a number of standard keycodes for normal stuff that exists on a lot of the
hardware (like extra LEDs on keyboards).

So you suggest I make another program that starts up the keyboard. If it's
not in the kernel then how do I know that my program does not interfer
with the kernel. Of course I can just send the codes to port 0x60 but that
seems brutal.

/Dennis

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.098 / U:0.264 seconds]