SubjectRe: Gigabit NIC question.
Jes Sorensen writes:
> Donald> On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, [euc-kr] Kim DaeHo wrote:
> >> Could anyone explain me how to port gigabit NIC driver from the
> >> 2.2.x to 2.0.36 ?
> Donald> ..
> >> PS. I'm so sorry that my last mail is encoded base64.
> Donald> That echoing silence wasn't from bad mail encoding, it was
> Donald> because demonstrating an interest in backwards compatibility
> Donald> or API stability pretty much disqualifies someone from future
> Donald> kernel development.
> Not at all, base64 encoded email goes naturally straight to /dev/null
> unread.

Indeed. A procmail recipe even avoids you having to see the crap in
the first place. I can see why some people use the base64 abortion,
though: if they inline a patch it gets filled with "=3D" gunk, because
they're using some or other character set encoding :-(

> Kim, if you want Gigabit Ethernet I'd strongly recommend you consider
> porting whatever it is you have that requires 2.0.x onto 2.2.x or
> later.

It might not be a 2.0.36 driver that is needed. It may be the 2.0.36