    SubjectRe: Gigabit NIC question.
    Jes Sorensen writes:

    > Donald> On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, [euc-kr] Kim DaeHo wrote:
    > >> Could anyone explain me how to port gigabit NIC driver from the
    > >> 2.2.x to 2.0.36 ?
    > Donald> ..
    > >> PS. I'm so sorry that my last mail is encoded base64.
    >
    > Donald> That echoing silence wasn't from bad mail encoding, it was
    > Donald> because demonstrating an interest in backwards compatibility
    > Donald> or API stability pretty much disqualifies someone from future
    > Donald> kernel development.
    >
    > Not at all, base64 encoded email goes naturally straight to /dev/null
    > unread.

    Indeed. A procmail recipe even avoids you having to see the crap in
    the first place. I can see why some people use the base64 abortion,
    though: if they inline a patch it gets filled with "=3D" gunk, because
    they're using some or other character set encoding :-(

    > Kim, if you want Gigabit Ethernet I'd strongly recommend you consider
    > porting whatever it is you have that requires 2.0.x onto 2.2.x or
    > later.

    It might not be a 2.0.36 driver that is needed. It may be the 2.0.36
    reliability!

    Regards,

    Richard....
    Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
    Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.019 / U:93.196 seconds]