    SubjectRe: linux-2.4.0 breaks grub install into partition

    > No, since you are using the functionality that was never promised to be
    > there. Example: fs has a perfect right to copy superblock out of the
    > buffer cache and slam it back whenever it wants, completely ignoring any
    > changes you've done to buffer cache. Or to keep it in pagecache and don't
    > have buffer heads hashed. You are _not_ supposed to bypass r/w filesystem
    > - it has absolute access to the device and that's the end of the story.

    But in the current sources I see nowhere where the buffer heads are
    released. Is that intended and will be cleaned up in 2.5? Buffer heads are
    really huge, so I can understand it to keep them only as long as
    neccessary, but I don't see where it's done.
    Anyway, there is another use for keeping buffer and page cache in sync,
    that way we could better support filesystems with blocksizes smaller than
    the disk blocksize. I think only fat has some ugly support for this, but
    even there I'm not sure it still works. Did someone tried fat on a disk
    with a block size larger than 512 bytes? Nevertheless it would be great if
    such stuff would be (properly) supported by the vfs and here I think the
    buffer cache could be used for that or any other ideas?

    bye, Roman

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.018 / U:12.652 seconds]