    SubjectRe: Gigabit NIC question.
    Jes Sorensen writes:

    > Richard> Jes Sorensen writes:
    > >> 2.0.36 reliawhat?? If you are looking for GigE performance you are
    > >> likely to want SMP and SMP in 2.0.36 is absolutely not realiable.
    >
    > Richard> There's a strong perception that 2.0.36 is robust (even
    > Richard> though SMP isn't). I see people pushing for XYZ driver to be
    > Richard> added to 2.0.3x for this reason. I assume if Kim is willing
    > Richard> to back-port the GigE driver to 2.0.36, the option of
    > Richard> forward-porting some other driver was also considered.
    >
    > True, from a driver maintainers point of view I'd just note that I
    > have no interest in adding 2.0.x compat patches to for instance the
    > acenic driver.

    Yeah, but that won't stop people from wanting it :-)

    > Richard> As for SMP "requirements": perhaps Kim has a 1 GHz Athalon
    > Richard> and figures that should do nicely :-)
    >
    > Hmmm I thought I read a mail from Alan a few minutes ago stating
    > that 2.2.x didn't even support the Athlon?

    I can assure you that 2.2.15 works very nicely on an Athalon. I was
    running it on our server when the 2.3.99 kernels had appalling VM
    performance. Even MTRR support (the K7 has Intel-compatible MTRRs
    while the K6 were AMD-specific; the K7 broke an assumption in the MTRR
    driver which was later fixed in 2.2.x and 2.3.x kernels) works.

    I think what Alan meant is that support for K7-specific features is
    not available. So the kernel just treats it as a lowly PIII.

    Regards,

    Richard....
    Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
    Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:3.870 / U:0.104 seconds]