    SubjectRe: CD Burning still busted 2.4.0-test3 - SCSI timeouts
    "Michael H. Warfield" wrote:

    > Ok gang...
    >
    > This has been busted for most of 2.3.x and I've complained about
    > it a couple of time in the past, each time digging deeper into the problem.
    > Note... This works fine on 2.2.16 and now I'm having to drop back to
    > 2.2.16 every time I want to burn CD's. This sucks.
    >
    > The problem is that the system goes in the weeds (read that as slow
    > as all hell and jerky) while burning the CD and the the fixation always
    > seems to abort with a SCSI timeout after about 30 seconds, even though
    > cdrecord sets the SCSI timeout on the fixation command to several minutes.

    > The other problem (the system performance and jerky response)
    > seems to be some sort of problem in the queue with the generic access
    > used by the CD burner. Now this, I'll admit, is pure conjecture on
    > my part, but it seems like the generic SCSI action is holding up all
    > the other commands in the queue, including commands for other drives
    > which might otherwise be processed. So, during the burning process,
    > everytime we are waiting on a burner command to complete, my system
    > can't get at swap or other disk access, so it acts slow and jerky.
    > It's also flat out DEAD during the 30 second timeout before the
    > fixation fails.

    > This thing is broken. What can I do to help FIX IT???

    Your description makes it sound like the device has disconnection disabled in
    the SCSI BIOS (the CTRL-A message at boot up BIOS area). If that's the case,
    enabling disconnection on the CD-RW device should solve your problem. If
    that's not the case, then I suspect the mid layer SCSI code since the aic7xxx
    driver in 2.4.0-test3 (5.2.1, which is nothing more than a forward port of
    5.1.31 from the 2.2.x kernel series) should be the same as the aic7xxx driver
    in 2.2.17pre (5.1.31).

    --

    Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com> http://people.redhat.com/dledford
    Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before