SubjectRe: PNP design philosophy?
> What you are saying above is that the PNP code *is* dependant on the BIOS and
> that is what worries me because it makes it pretty non-general. I also have
> an AXP (UDB/Multia) where I can't set anything in the BIOS (or whatever you

ISAPnP cards boot up in a 'disabled' state. Well most do , one or two boot
at magic addresses for non PnP boxes and then disappear magically again
when they see an ISAPnP key sequence and become ISAPnP boards (which btw is
fun if your SCSI card does this and you run pnpdump ;))

The ISAPnP card configuration is specified as ISA bus operations and as such
can be done with no PC BIOS support - in fact that is a requirement since
you can and people do put isapnp cards in ancient machines.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.047 / U:0.032 seconds]