    SubjectRe: [patch] vsyscall feature
    Ingo Molnar <mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu> writes:
    > yep - since kernel-entry-less vsyscalls are basically an extension to
    > glibc, it's perfectly possible to avoid the intended behavior via
    > user-space tricks. Just like it's possible currently to override the _time
    > libc function. So anyone who wants to do tricks must either do it at the
    > libc level if vsyscalls are use.

    Depending on libc-level trickery alone is no good if complete control of a
    (possibly rogue) user program is required. I think there still needs to be a
    way (maybe a ptrace call?) to disable this.

    > Also, since this is fully under the
    > control of the kernel, it can be disabled (via a kernel recompile and/or
    > kernel patch) without impacting any application.

    I really hope the disable operation can go in the production kernel by
    default. Won't it just be a few lines of code?

    --
    Any sufficiently adverse technology is indistinguishable from Microsoft.