SubjectRe: Configuration language issues (was Re: drivers/net/Config.in cleanup)
Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> This is getting to be a complicated user interface.

Not much more complicated than what we have now, and certainly more
adequate for the job (the choice between menuconfig's "need to know"
and xconfig's "information overload" approach really is just one of
the lesser evil). If you add a context-sensitive info line, it's
probably even easier to use than the current editors ;-)

> Why not just force options as needed? If somebody selects a PCMCIA
> network card, then network support and PCMCIA support get enabled.
> (the user could be told that this is happening)

I think the user should at least be asked for confirmation. After
all, there may be a reason for why this option is not set. E.g.
mutually exclusive drivers (e.g. USB UHCI vs. UHCI-JE, although
there, the conflict isn't caught at config time) or somebody doesn't
wish to enable CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL (many cases). Also, sometimes,
there may be multiple independent changes that enable a given
choice (e.g. CONFIG_IPX or CONFIG_INET enable CONFIG_NCP_FS).

- Werner