SubjectRe: BSD Licensed files in Linux kernel.
In <8a4d22$1v4$1@cesium.transmeta.com> H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com) wrote:

khim != lawyer

> Followup to: <ouya7ubdc4.fsf@baty.hanse.de>
> By author: Henner Eisen <eis@baty.hanse.de>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

>> Mike> That is true, but I've got one question about it. When UCB
>> Mike> dropped clause (3), is it across the board for all existing
>> Mike> BSD licensed software? In other words, if I take BSD source
>> Mike> that contains the clause, can I now ignore it completely?
>>
>> Be aware that there are other authors who published under BSD licence
>> and did not drop the clause.
>>

> In other words, the answer to Mike's question is "No".

Wrong. If some author published work under VERBATIM BSD license (witout ANY
changes, that is using UCB everywhere in text of license and not it's own name)
he effectively passed copyright to UCB. Thus all *BSD* licensed software (but
not *BSD-style* licensed software!) now can be distributed without (3) clause.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.035 / U:0.508 seconds]