SubjectRe: [OT] Microsoft invents symbolic links
Hi!

> > > Actually, 40% of my disk capacity is wasted in duplicates. Why? I do cp
> > > -a linux linux.backup before major changes. Automagicall ways to get
> >
> > I can't even guess what the ratio is on a small companys (like ours) file
> > server filled with old source versions and documents copies.
>
> ever tryed cvs ?

CVS makes it worse: each user has his copy of repository!

> > You could have a cowlinkd running nightly on file server and finding and
> > cow-linking those duplicates. (It could e2compr less used files as well).
> >

> yes, and introduce overhead in the kernel because each time you copy /
> modify a file, it would have to verify if it is a 'cow link';
> and if it is it'll end up moving from a "cow link" to a normal file.

Ha ha.

[You can do check on open(, O_RDWR) and open() is not really hot path.]

Pavel
--
I'm pavel@ucw.cz. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents me at discuss@linmodems.org