SubjectRe: cow-links

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Except Emacs. Some of us turn on backup-by-copying-when-linked even
> though it breaks the `cp -al' method because turning it off breaks other
> things. Perhaps I should code an elisp "if editing in /usr/src turn off
> backup-by-copying-when-linked". :-)

Some of us _use_ the sane behaviour of sane editors (vi, for one) in
setups where the source tree is linked to the build tree and editing in
one of them is supposed to affect both.

Sigh... Forget about MS abomination of the week - they mixed several
different issues for no good reason.
1) COW files. Makes sense, but must be done on block level instead
of inode one. That is actually an old idea and quite a useful one. Think
of filesystem acting as cache for WORM and getting regular NetApp-style
backups.
2) unionfs - different beast, similar ideas.
3) crappy way to save disk space - properly solved by unionfs.
4) links.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.072 / U:0.492 seconds]