    SubjectRe: Help in DSM design

    SCT> That turns out not to be the case. It was exactly this granularity
    SCT> problem which killed the only machine I'm aware of which did DSM in
    SCT> hardware (the Kendall Square boxes --- and how many people here have
    SCT> heard of that one? :)

    I finally threw all of mine out, although I did keep a few processor boards
    and had them mounted in nice wall displays. ^_^ The core KSR idea
    (managing DSM by extending the methods used to manage L1 and L2 processor
    cache) was technically very interesting but ultimately doomed by many
    factors, many unrelated to technical issues. Who knows what would have
    happened to them if their processors hadn't been dog slow, their hardware
    hadn't been so fragile and their accounting processes hadn't spooked all of
    the shareholders.

    Sun eventually bought the underlying patent. I wonder if they've done
    anything useful with it.

    - J<

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.018 / U:1.036 seconds]