SubjectRe: Linux 2.2.15pre12 [VM fixes]
At 3:44 PM -0300 on 3/4/00, Rik van Riel wrote:

>With your code, the most killed processes are syslogd and
>klogd. I welcome improvements to my code, but ininformed and
>rude rejections don't help at all.

We've got processor priorities, why not memory priorities? The very
important things (init) would get -19, the loggers maybe -2, and the
rest of the system 0. Unimportant tasks could then be given poisitive
numbers. These could, of course, be changed downward by root and a user
could change his own processes upwards (just like renice).

The memory overuse code could then just kill the highest-numbered
memory priority.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans