SubjectRe: Linux 64 bit - Trillium
Date
On Sun, 5 Mar 2000 willy@thepuffingroup.com wrote:

> > - Crays (the non-vector models; I suspect that Linux doesn't
> > would be very suitable on a vector-machine. But I could
> > be wrong)
>
> i heard they don't have an MMU. ucLinux on a Cray, baby! I've heard
> people talking about merging ucLinux into 2.5, but they're crazy people.

I've heard the hardware can do it, but the software folks didn't want to
give up cycles to indirection. Cray was all about maximum bandwidth,
minimum latency. Hence, no cache, no virtual memory, shared libs, etc.
The OS's job on a dinosaur supercomputer was to get the hell out of the
way.

For a while, I had a Convex C1 in my living room, which was a vector
supercomputer. If you wanted, you could run UNIX, complete with TCP and
NFS on it, as well as Cray binaries. Assuming you had three-phase power
and good A/C. I think my VAIO probably kicks its ass in every respect.

Or you could take all the insides out and use the chassis
for rackmount equipment like a good stereo..

> > Have I missed something out?!
>
> AT&T's Hobbit processor. Matsushita's MN10300. Fujitsu FR30. Sun MAJC.
> Notional Semidestructors 32016. Jeff Dike's usermode port. Linux/L4.
> mkLinux. There are some m68k machines which aren't included yet like
> sun3, next and apollo DN. pc532 (see www.netbsd.org). The i860 and i960.
> Transputers. Sun's 386-based workstations. Sequent SMP machines.
> Pyramid. IBM Romp. Sony NEWS.

Retro-ports, while fun, don't make a whole lot of practical sense. You
rapidly reach a point where maintaining an old machine is more expensive
than buying a new one. Emulators, on the other hand...