    SubjectRe: [OT] Microsoft invents symbolic links
    Hi!

    > > Actually, 40% of my disk capacity is wasted in duplicates. Why? I do
    > > cp -a linux linux.backup before major changes. Automagicall ways to
    > > get space back would be nice. (I also cp -a package ofic.package, so
    >
    > Won't vi do this automatically if you hardlink?

    Yes, it probably will. But I'm afraid some other shell script,
    somewhere will just overwrite the file... Because it can.

    > > Actually, 40% of my disk capacity is wasted in duplicates. Why? I do
    > > cp -a linux linux.backup before major changes. Automagicall ways to
    > > get space back would be nice. (I also cp -a package ofic.package, so
    > > that I can diff -ur later... Hardlinks are not enough because I do not
    > > want to accidentaly trash ofic.)
    >
    > Use cp -al. All the editors that I tried will handle it correctly and
    > creating a new file for the edited thing. patch also works like that.
    > I always use cp -al for backups and creating diffs.

    I'll try it once again. I remember getting bitten by this. Anyway,
    with cow-links, you could even have different permissions on different
    copies. (This is what I do, too: clean sources are under root, but
    working set is under pavel. That is not possible with cp -al.)
    Pavel
    --
    I'm pavel@ucw.cz. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
    Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents me at discuss@linmodems.org