SubjectRe: Linux 2.2.15pre12 [VM fixes]
On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> > [..] and also
> >not shooting root/iopl processes unless we have no choice ?
>
> What I'd like to do in this area is not obviously right and it
> needs some more research. I disagree with Rik's heuristic since
> I strongly believe we should kill the hog, and we shouldn't kill
> the netscape of an user if inetd hits a bug, and runs out of
> memory while exploding.

With your code, the most killed processes are syslogd and
klogd. I welcome improvements to my code, but ininformed and
rude rejections don't help at all.

I'm looking forward to any improvements in the oom code, but
reverting to code that kills syslog just because you don't
like the way the code was written doesn't look like an
improvement to me.

looking forward to your patch,
regards,

Rik