SubjectRe: HIGH MEMORY access
Date
In article <linux.kernel.20000303182214.56270.qmail@hotmail.com>,
Lyle Coder <x_coder@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Hello All,
>I have a question. The BIOS engineers said that the MPS tables will be in
>the highest region of the available RAM... greater than 1 GB if so much
>memory is available.
>Further more, the MPS tables will be in a region reported "unusable" by E820
>(Thats mentioned in the E820 spec).

Unusable, not ACPI nvs or reclaim?

Hmm. Mapping it into memory the easy way won't work very well,
then, because that will make mem_map[] a fairly huge creature indeed
(I've got some bioses around that glues an unusable segment right up
at the 4gb boundary; I'd hate to eat 64mb for pagetables on a 32mb
machine about as much as I'd hate having to poke around inside all
the rom segments to see if they're special rom or plain ordinary
rom so I could decide whether to map them into memory or not.)

____
david parsons \bi/ ouch.
\/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.035 / U:0.832 seconds]