SubjectRe: Linux 2.2.15pre12
On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

[memory non-overcommit]
> Doing it perfectly is hard - very hard and I've yet to see
> anyone get it right in the Unix world. Doing the general case is
> not so bad. Basically whenever you create/destroy/modify a VMA
> you must ensure that there is memory or swap for the VMA.

We do that now. Problem is that we don't keep track of pages
that aren't allocated yet for other users. Or COW pages, or
kernel pages, or ...

I guess we could build a system which does keep track of
everything, but I don't think many people will want to use
it. Imagine needing 3 MB of swap for every apache child
being forked ... (ditto for mysql, sendmail, ...)

regards,

Rik
of people. That is its real strength.

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/