    SubjectRe: Is ReiserFS really a journaling file system, or is it really
    Chris Mason <mason@suse.com> writes:

    > I think I see what you mean...perhaps we could do this by updating the
    > stat data to reflect which blocks have actually been written. If we read
    > a file that is incomplete, we have a choice of truncating off the bad
    > data, or simply refusing to service any operations for that file. Or did
    > you intend something else (my idea wouldn't be zero cost).

    I guess he wants a truncation to zero bytes if the file was writen to,
    but not closed yet when it crashed. For some apps like an ftp server
    that makes sense, but I wouldn't want it on a general file system
    (because I value my logfiles)

    It also solves the problem of you seeing old data in a block after
    a crash (this can happen with both reiserfs and ext2), so it may be
    good for the paranoid.

    Apparently AIX used to do or still does this for these security reasons.

    -Andi

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.020 / U:0.524 seconds]