    SubjectRe: Is ReiserFS really a journaling file system, or is it really
    Chris Mason <> writes:

    > I think I see what you mean...perhaps we could do this by updating the
    > stat data to reflect which blocks have actually been written. If we read
    > a file that is incomplete, we have a choice of truncating off the bad
    > data, or simply refusing to service any operations for that file. Or did
    > you intend something else (my idea wouldn't be zero cost).

    I guess he wants a truncation to zero bytes if the file was writen to,
    but not closed yet when it crashed. For some apps like an ftp server
    that makes sense, but I wouldn't want it on a general file system
    (because I value my logfiles)

    It also solves the problem of you seeing old data in a block after
    a crash (this can happen with both reiserfs and ext2), so it may be
    good for the paranoid.

    Apparently AIX used to do or still does this for these security reasons.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.021 / U:11.296 seconds]