    SubjectRe: [patch] preemptive kernel, preemptive-2.3.52-A7
    In article <> you wrote:
    > If read/write is too slow, figuring out some way to force it into
    > mmap or do something else smart is an alternative to checking needs
    > resched.

    Or "just" do the same thing the mm system does: work in chunks with the size
    as specified in /proc/sys/vm/page-cluster. This is a relatively small size
    (typically 32Kb to 64Kb) and is supposed to be set to a value the harddisk
    is comfortable with (read: no more than half the cache-size on the disk).
    I remember a discussion around the 2.1.125 time that stated that clustering
    in blocks of 32Kb almost doubled the throughtput of hdd's in that time, but
    that larger blocks decreased performance.. write() could schedule (or attempt
    to if needed) after such a block. I hope this will be good for both hdd
    throughput and latency...

    Arjan van de Ven

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.021 / U:1.324 seconds]