    SubjectRe: Avoiding OOM on overcommit...?
    On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Peter T. Breuer wrote:

    > "A month of sundays ago ptb wrote:"

    > > > Besides that mlock() is not "userlevel", now i understand you're focusing
    > > > only on stack. Having a "reserved" swap for your stack it's the same of
    > > > having a fixed stack. What happens if you run out of stack?
    > >
    > > No it's not the same. Firstly, if anyone runs out of stack, they're
    > > dead so that is not a relevant topic to bring to the table. You can't
    >
    > Actually, now I come to think of it, I believe the BSD rules work:
    >
    > 0) the system starts with total swap+ram counting as "available
    > virtual ram"
    > 1) a "secure" process must have 8MB of "available virtual ram"
    > before it can be started successfully (replace 8MB with rlimit, in
    > general).
    > 2) every time a secure process starts up it reduces the "available
    > virtual ram" by 8MB.
    > 3) a process can start up with less than 8MB available, or not reduce
    > the available amount by 8MB, but in that case it will be marked
    > "volatile", which means that it is a candidate for killing if the
    > kernel needs more swap/ram.
    >
    > This ensures that a secure processes stack has somewhere to be paged out
    > to, and that therefore the kernel need never kill it when trying to
    > find swap space in which to put processes current stack pages.

    That's simply a non overcommitting approach. And also a fixed-size approach.
    Of course, it gives you a very predictable behaviour. The price
    you pay is that system throughput is 1/10 of an overcommitting system
    on the same HW. Is your shell 'secure'? And every 'ls' you perform?

    Including RAM as a part of VM is a mistake. Consider a 64MB RAM +
    64 MB swap system.

    t1) Process A requests 60MB via brk(), the system has 128MB of VM,
    so it allocates 60MB to process A. Available VM is 68MB.
    t2) Process B starts, and requests 60MB. The system has 68MB of VM,
    so it allocates 60MB to process B. Available VM is now 8MB.
    t3) Process A writes all pages, so they are now in-core and dirty.
    t4) Process B writes all pages. The kernel has now to page-out A
    pages to swap. About 60MB of swap gets used.
    B pages are in-core, and dirty.
    t5) Process A writes all pages again. The kernel has to page-in A pages,
    so it has to page-out B before. But there are only 4MB of free swap.

    OOS. You should check free *swap* space, not free VM.

    I don't follow BSD any more, but at 4.3 time I'm pretty sure it allocated
    *swap*. And it checked for available swap before allowing process creation
    (or grow). In the example above, at t2) the kernel refuses to give 60MB
    to process B. To run 2 60MB-sized processes you need >120MB of swap, no
    matter how much RAM you have.

    > Peter

    .TM.
    --
    / / / Marco Colombo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.023 / U:1.144 seconds]