    SubjectRe: Location of shmfs; devfs automagics
    Thierry Vignaud <tvignaud@mandrakesoft.com> writes:

    > "H. Peter Anvin" wrote:
    > >
    > > Two alerts regarding filesystem hierarchy:
    > >
    > > The location that has been suggested, /var/shm, is a very bad choice.
    > > /var is a potentially-large filesystem which isn't necessarily
    > > available during the early boot sequence, may be remote, etc.
    > > Furthermore, /var is used for on-disk data.
    > >
    > > The proper location for entities like this is /dev. The only sensible
    > > location for this is /dev/shm.
    >
    > then if you choose to umount your devfs in order to use the old /dev/
    > entries, you get an error message, have to umount /dev/shm first, which
    > may be used by apps, ....

    The suggestion for /var/shm is gone. I would also vote for /dev/shm
    but didn't like the above clashes during integration. Personally I
    mount shm fs on /dev/shm since we do not need a default any more.

    Greetings
    Christoph

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.028 / U:0.000 seconds]