SubjectRe: Is ReiserFS really a journaling file system, or is it really just a synchronous-metadata file system like BSD FFS?
Hi,

On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 08:47:14PM -0800, ncm@nospam.cantrip.org wrote:

> I hope my impression is wrong, and that in fact all these file systems
> provide similar recovery semantics. Can someone answer authoritatively?

They all do. You cannot do data journaling unless the applications
give the operating system hints about their transactions. Existing
applications typically use fsync() and O_SYNC when they want to
tell the OS about data write ordering constraints, and journaling
filesystems do honour those hints properly.

--Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.071 / U:0.468 seconds]