SubjectRe: Location of shmfs; devfs automagics
On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 03:01:43PM -0800, Blu3Viper wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > What "standard makecompat for devfsd"? I can't find anything on my
> > system, on Richard's pages, in the devfsd sources, or in the kernel sources
> > by that name. Pray tell what is this "standard". Maybe I've missed
> > something again. Unless it's under some other name...

> Note: the precise wording is "MKOLDCOMPAT" and similar.

Hmmm... Should have said that in your message then.

> It is the default devfsd.conf that comes with devfsd. devfsd is referred to
> in the Configure.help entry:

Ah ha! What I was afraid of. Already been there.

In other words, it doesn't fix anything. Sigh...

> "In particular, make sure you install devfsd. If you don't, expect to spend
> time patching broken code and updating configuration files."

Yeah, well... Too bad devfsd doesn't cover everything listed in
devices.txt. If you are going to remap the known universe, you shouldn't
be selective about what you are going to support and what you aren't.

> Also in the Configure.help entry:

> "This is work in progress. If you want to use this you *must* read
> Documentation/filesystems/devfs/README"

> The README file details at length much useful information including various
> steps for accomplishment and where to find the devfsd package etc.

> The devfsd package contains the short and simple code, makefile, man page,
> and default devfsd.conf file with numerous well documented default settings.

Ok... Then tell me, how do I tell devfsd to map all devices that
come up ttf/{0-255} to /dev/ttyF{0-255} and cuf/{0-255} to /dev/cuf{0-255}
and ip2/ipl{0-3} to /dev/ip2ipl{0-3} and ip2/stat{0-3} to /dev/ip2stat{0-3}
for the Computone boards? I haven't figured it out yet. It's not in
devfsd, in spite of the fact that the ttyF{n}, cuf{n}, ip2ipl{n}, and
ip2stat{n} devices are listed in devices.txt.

It would have been nice and would have made sense if there had
been some sort of perl-like regex for the config file. Something
like "s/ttf\/\([0-9]*\)/ttyF\1/" where we could have configured it
on the fly for devices that were never put in there. I don't see where
I can do something like that. All I see in devfsd is a whole series of
special cases and string compares which could have been a general purpose
regex engine.

I also don't see a thing in there for the USB devices. I don't
see devfs creating anything for my usb printer when I plug it in, or the
usbmouse either, for that matter. I've got 2.3.99pre3 and I've got
devfsd running. If these things are supported, why isn't anything
happening?

Patches for devfs support for the Computone boards were submitted
weeks ago, but they're not in the kernel sources yet and I doubt their
going to make 2.4.0. How many other drivers have no support? Somehow,
I suspect that most of the intelligent multiport boards fall into that
category and I don't see anything in the pcmcia stuff either. I agree
that some things "fall out in the wash" when they register things like
standard tty ports and drives. But that still leaves a lot out that
haven't been done yet. Sure, I figured out that you aren't having any
problems with this because you aren't using any of these things.

I also sent Richard (and the devfs list) a list of the ports
and devices that the Computone boards use that are not in devfsd. Maybe
one day they'll show up in devfsd and maybe they won't. I haven't
heard a peep back on that front. I'm sure the patches will make it
into the kernel eventually, I'm just not sure when. That's in the
hands of the man in charge.

> > Maybe this is the secret cookie we've all been looking for. Where
> > is it and what is it?

> Your secret cookie is in the Documentation that you should read if you
> enable an option in your configuring ;)

Read the docs. Did the patches to the drivers and submitted same.
Even did the patches to the install scripts to recognize when devfs is
running and create the links instead of devices. Even downloaded the
latest devfsd, which is why I know it's broken and not supporting
everything in devices.txt.

> > I could give you an arguement on those points and enjoyable is
> > not a term I would employ.

> Enjoyable is a term I would use. The simplicity of installation, and the
> resulting relief from all the little nagging issues like ttys.

> "Everything just works" is something I hear a lot in regards to devfs.

Just broke was my experience. But I guess I use a few toys that
you don't.

> -d

Mike
--